As an enhancement in OATS(Oracle Application Testing Suite) 12.5, Oracle has given a setting in OpenScript to enable screen recording during the script playback and saves a file with “.cap” as file extension. The movie file name is generally “playback_movie.cap”
We have also published an article which describes 5 reasons why you should record your script playback / executions, now let us see in more detail as how you can video record your script playback in OATS:
Steps to enable record movie during playback, i.e. capture screen on test execution in OATS
- Open OpenScript
- Create New Project ( For Example: Web )
- Navigate to View > OpenScript Preferences
- Select Web Functional section in OpenScript > Playback section of “Preferences (Filtered)” Dialog Window (left part of the window)
- On the right side, scroll down to see an option “Record movie during playback”, check this option to enable screen capturing on playback of the script.
- Click “Apply” and “OK” buttons respectively on the “Preferences (Filtered)” Dialog window.
- Create & stabilize your functional automation script.
- Execute the script in OpenScript, a movie file gets generated on completion of execution or playback with name “movie_playback.cap”
Steps to playback the screen captured video file with the video player of OATS
- On completion of script execution you can find the generated “playback_movie.cap” file, i.e. the screen captured movie file during playback.
- This video file can be viewed only with the player provided by OATS ( Oracle Application Testing Suite )
- Firstly, you can locate the “playback_movie.cap” file at Script folder > results > Session1 ( this should be the highest session number, if you want to go to last execution) folder location. Just to make sure if the file got generated or not.
- Second thing is to open this generated video file in the OATS video player which is located @ C:\OracleATS\openScript (location is subjective to your OATS installation directory) folder location, you will find an executable jar file by name “screen_player.jar”
- Double click the screen_player.jar file, you would be presented with a horizontal window of the player as below:
- Click on “Open Recording” Button
- Browse through the folder location where the “movie_playback.cap” file of your test script execution, select the file.
- Click on “Play” button to run the recorded video in the player
Please feel free share your queries and suggestions through the comments section.